Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The First One

If every journey starts with a first step, each blog starts with a first post - and this is mine. Over the years I had hoped I would write posts for my Facebook page but that did not happen on a regular basis. Will an "actual" blog be different - I hope so. I hope that by discussing general legal topics - opposed to actual client scenarios and victories - will mean that I will be more willing to post more.

So what will this first post focus on? I figure if you're going to read my posts, you should know a little about me and what I will post about.

I am a general practitioner attorney in practice since 2010. These days much of my practice is limited to Fairfield County, Ohio, though I do sometimes travel to surrounding counties. A large majority of my practice is focused on OVI and criminal defense, but family law such as divorce and child custody also constitutes a decent portion of my practice. But I do not limit my practice to just these areas. I also represent people and businesses in civil matters such as debt collection, contract disputes, landlord-tenant issues, business formation, real estate and zoning issues, and estate planning.

While I have a private practice, I am also employed as the Assistant City Attorney for the City of Whitehall, Ohio; Village Prosecutor for the Village of Thornville, Ohio; and Special Prosecutor for the City of Reynoldsburg, Ohio. As the ACA for Whitehall I oversee the prosecution of all cases filed in Whitehall Mayor's Court, provide legal advice to the police and fire departments, assist our prosecutors in Franklin County Municipal Court, advise the City's elected officials, and represent the City in civil matters, including environmental and nuisance property actions. As Prosecutor for Thornville, I prosecute all cases filed by the Thornville Police Department, in Mayor's Court and Perry County Court, and provide legal advice to the police department. As a Special Prosecutor for Reynoldsburg, I prosecute cases when the city prosecutors cannot prosecute a case, usually because there is a conflict between the City and a defendant.

Prior to starting my practice I worked as a Systems Developer-Engineer for The Ohio State University. Over an eight year career at OSU, I worked for two different departments developing and administering web-based applications and MSSQL and Oracle databases. While at OSU I was appointed to the University Staff Advisory Committee, and chaired the Governance Subcommittee, to provide advice and advocate for staff to the Office of the President. I also represented OSU on the Ohio Staff Council of Higher Education.

In 2015 I was elected Mayor of the Village of Baltimore, in Fairfield County, and began my term January 1, 2016. Baltimore is the largest village in the county with a population just under 3,000 people. We operate our own police department, water and wastewater treatment plants, pool, and maintain our own streets, parks, and water utilities through the work of dedicated employees. In 2016 I ran for State Representative for the 77th District but lost to the incumbent in the General Election.

Now that you know a little about me, it's time to start posting about topics that are of interest to me - and hopefully of interest to you or will help you in your day to day life. Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment